Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Blog Post #11

Little Kids....Big Potential

Before EDM310, I have always had a negative outlook on technology, especially the use of it in classrooms. Watching the videos of Ms. Cassidy's first graders and the Skype interview with Dr. Strange, gave me an inside look and a new perspective of students using technology.

kids using technology
Ms. Cassidy started using technology in her classroom 10 years ago when she was given five computers. She couldn't put programs on them, but knew she had to find some kind of way her students could use them. She started by creating a class web page which eventually led to student blogs. Since her students are only in the first grade, Ms. Cassidy is sure to take all precautions necessary to keep her students safe while using the internet. She sends a form home with every student every year asking parents for their permission for their child to participate in technology usage in her class such as creating student blogs and being online. She tells her students to never give out their last names. She also uses Class Blogmeister to see who has been viewing her students' blogs.

Ms. Cassidy also uses Skype which enables her students to learn from experts and interact with other students and teachers. With the use of wikis, her students are able to get their questions answered from different people all around the world. They also use videos to talk to others in different places. Her students really enjoy using technology in all its different ways because it makes learning fun for them.

smart kids
When I think about what I would use in my classroom, the webpage and student blogs come to mind. My class webpage would be great because parents could see what their child is doing in class. I could use the webpage to post homework assignments, notes on what was done in class that day, and introduce the next day's lesson. I could have a forum for parents and students to ask questions if needed. I could also have extra practice assignments for students who want or need extra help, which would be optional. I could include different educational links for references if needed. A class webpage would also be great if a student was absent in class one day, everything they missed would be online for them.

I think that student blogs are definitely a good way to use technology as well. With the use of blogs, students become better writers, readers, and learners. They are able to practice their comprehension skills, and as the old saying goes, practice makes perfect. The more they blog, the better their writing skills will become. Family and friends would be able to post comments and give them feedback. I think that by using blogs, this will make learning fun and exciting for my students. I think the learning process will be more personal for them and they won't see it as a "I have to" learn kind of a thing. Of course there will be parents and maybe even other teachers that will not agree with the use of technology in the classroom because of all the negatives that it can have. But I do believe that the benefits of technology definitely outweigh its negatives.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Ashley,
    Great post! I found no grammatical errors and your post was organized and flowed well. It sounds like to me that you definitely could benefit from the class blogs and websites in your discipline. I thought it was funny that you said that you had a negative outlook on technology before this class. While I didn't have a negative outlook, I didn't care one way or another. My outlook has too changed. Crazy huh? Anyway, great post and keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. At last, EDM310 is having an effect on you.

    ReplyDelete