Monday, December 3, 2012

C4K Summaries in November

C4K #7
Dr. Paige Vitulli and Dr. Susan Santoli went on a two week trip to Ireland for different conference workshops on education and kept a blog to write about their adventures. In the blog post, Now for the Conference, they talked about an International Conference that dealt with different types of adult education such as entrepreneurship and technical and vocational training. All of the conferences had different keynote speakers for each day. The keynote speaker on Monday was Dr. Cynthia Northington-Plurdie, a psychologist and life coach at William Paterson University in New Jersey, who titled her presentation The Evolution of Academic Integrity. Since technology has evolved tremendously, especially its use in education, should the concepts of cheating, plagerism, and academic integrity be rethought?

Tuesday's keynote speaker was Dr. Richard Cooper, the Director of Disability Services at Harcum College in Bryn Mawr, PA. He discussed the various ways that people process, perceive, and communicate and the implications for learning and instruction. Dr. Cooper does not like to speak of students who have learning disabilities, but rather refer to them as students who learn differently.

I commented and said that I couldn't even imagine what it would be like to go across the world and experience the cultures and traditions of another country. It seemed like they had a great time and really enjoyed the trip. I stated that I agreed with Dr. Cooper's way of thinking. No two people are alike in this world and everyone does learn differently. Therefore, I don't think that it's right to pinpoint on a select few and refer to the students as having a learning disability. Telling a student that he/she has a learning disability is going to do nothing but discourage them and put doubt into their heads. You are the one that is "disabling" their learning by doing this. I stated that I loved the idea that Dr. Cooper had of them being students who just learn differently because that is what's true. I thanked Dr. Vitulli and Dr. Santoli for taking everyone on their trip to Ireland.

C4K #8
In Mr. Boylen's 8th grade class, Elizabeth M. wrote a blog post entitled Summer of the Monkeys in her blog. She said that the book was slow to start. She said that she sort of liked it because she thought that most of the things that happened in the book really wouldn't happen in real life. She stated that the book was about a little boy who lives... She stopped after that.

After I introduced myself, I told her that I looked forward to hearing more about the book from her and her thoughts on it. I've never read Summer of the Monkeys, but the title definitely catches my eye and sparks interest. It seems to be fiction. I told Elizabeth that it's been my experience that most fiction books are slow to start but almost always get very interesting. I suggested that she keep on reading the book and might find that she was in for a real treat once the book got going. Then I wished her good luck!

C4K #9A
In Mr. Cometti's World History class, Hannah wrote a blog post entitled, My Veteran. Veteran's Day is on November 12th. She thanked her grandfather for serving in the military. Veteran's Day is about remembering our heroes and celebrating their safety, or their brave death. She said that she was thankful to say that she belonged in a family who has veterans that served in the army. She said that everyone should celebrate the courage of their friends and family that served in the military.

I commented and said that Veteran's Day is a very important day in our country, and everyone should celebrate it. Many men and women sacrificed their lives for our freedom and we should be grateful for that. I told her that I also have family in the military and that I am thankful for all that they have done. Then I told her that she did a great job on her post.

C4K #9B
I left another comment on Hannah's blog post entitled, On Their Death Bed. Her assignment was to pick a historical character and explain what they were like on their death bed. What were they thinking? Who were they with? What were they saying? What did they do?

She chose Napolean Boneparte, a french emperor that was famous for winning many wars for France in the French Revolution. During the wars, his health started to dwindle and he got sicker and sicker. On his death bed, he was surrounded by his family and wife Joesphine. His last words were "France, armee, tete d'armee, Josephine." This meant France, army, head of the army, and Josephine. These were the things in which he dedicated his life to and spent his whole life trying to improve. The specific cause of his death was stomach cancer. Hannah said that she felt that Napolean wasn't sad at his death bed, but happy because he had a great life and was looked up to as a great military leader of France.

I told Hannah that I loved the way she described how Napolean Bonepart's family and wife was by his side in his last few moments. I would think that when you are surrounded by the ones you love, it might make things a little bit easier. It's good that he had a happy life and lived a good life too. His death seemed peaceful and it seemed as though he was at peace too. I told her she did a great job on her post.

C4K #10
Ms. Nelson and Ms. Yim's fourth grade class, at Daphne East Elementary, created four videos as part of their Montgomery Field Trip Project assignment. The video, The State House, discussed several different things that were important about Montgomery, Alabama. The House of Representatives is where laws are made for Alabama. The students also talked about how they were able to meet the Governor of Alabama Dr. Robert Bentley. They even got to shake the Governor's hand and take pictures. Lurleen Burns Wallace was mentioned in the video. She was the first lady Governor of Alabama. Montgomery is the state capitol of Alabama, and therefore, it's a big city. There are many different buildings and important sites in Montgomery. Regions Bank is the tallest building in Montgomery. There's a train station there that was built in 1898 and has six sets of tracks. Montgomery also has an old theatre that is across from the Rosa Parks Museum. It's called the Davis Theatre. That was the end of the video.

My comment was:

"Hello to Ms. Nelson's fourth grade class. My name is Ashley Zaworski and I am a student at the University of South Alabama in Mobile, Alabama. I think that y'all did a great job on the videos for the Montgomery Field Trip Project that was assigned. I watched the video entitled 'The State House.' It was creative and very informative. I loved the little fun facts that was mentioned about the Governor's Mansion. That's a great way to keep your audience's attention and make them interested in wanting to know more. This video would definitely be a great video to use to introduce Montgomery to someone who has never been to the city before. I think that everyone deserves an A+. Y'all did a great job and just keep up the good work!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment